If you’ve already established your business, it’s time to start growing it. You may have more options on your hand but one of the best ways to expand your small business is going online, and building your name there.
And, to achieve this, local SEO can be your best comrade. The local SEO strategy relies on marketing your brand, products, and services to local leads and customers.
The report of ReviewTrachers’ local search revealed that 35% of all search traffic is local, so absence of the local SEO can be a big reason for losing a significant amount of traffic for your business.
10 Best Local SEO Tips to Grow Your Small Business
Don’t be concerned about it. This article is going to tell you the top 10 local SEO tips that will help you to grow your small business in 2020 and the years to come.
1. Keyword Research
Keyword research is one of the best practices for any marketing campaign and if it’s done rightly, the outcomes sustain for long. To select the target audience and create the content for your small business, keyword research plays a vital role.
So let’s take a look at how you can perform the perfect keyword research and what’s its benefit for your small business:
Low Competitive Keywords: For your small business it is ideal to go with low competitive keywords. With the keyword research tools, you can easily find the low competitive word in your niche.
When you have entered your seed keyword in the search box of a keyword research tool and perform a search, you will get thousands of keyword suggestions. Among them, filter the keywords that have a low difficulty score with much search volume and choose one or a couple that is best suited to your business.
Local keywords: Local keywords research can help you to find out the high search volume keywords in your targeted regions as well as determine the search trends.
Through the keyword research tools or Google’s Keyword Planner, you can filter keyword searches based on a specific location to get an idea of the popular search terms.
Competitor Research: The research on Your Competitor uncover the keywords that they are using to rank their web pages. It can be a good source of your keyword suggestion which brings many opportunities for you.
For performing the research on your competitor, enter your competitor’s domain in the specific section of the keyword research tool. And then, the research tool will show you almost everything about your competitors that might be needed for you.
2. Create a Google My Business Account
Being listed in Google My Business is perhaps the most effective way to rank higher on Google Maps as well as gain visibility in local search results of Google.
To be listed, at first, you need to create an account in Google My Business and once you provide all the requested information in that account, all of that information will be added to your business profile which appears on Google Maps and Google search local results.
You need to ensure the following things to optimize your Business Profile on Google My Business:
- Verify the ownership of the business.
- Ensure that the information (name, adree, phone number, website, description, location, category, attributes) you provide is accurate.
- Take the necessary steps to encourage the customer to review your business.
- Respond to the customers’ reviews sincerely.
- Add posts in Google My Business dashboard to share your business update.
3. Voice Search
The Voice Search Statistics report of 99 Firms(2020) reveals that According to Google, 20% of all searches are voice, 31% of smartphone users worldwide use voice tech at least once a week and 50% of all online searches will be voice-based by 2020.
Since the voice search is growing rapidly, the optimization of your website for voice search takes you one step ahead of your competitors.
Some points you should keep in mind while preparing for voice search optimization are:
- Question keywords: Voice search contains a lot of question words like what, which, how, when, etc. So when you add keywords for the voice, include those question keywords.
- Long-tail Keywords: People naturally use more keywords in the voice search than the traditional search. So, give your focus on long-tail keywords.
- Use Natural Language: When you use natural language there is a lot of scope of matching as a result of verbal questions.
Overall, you should consider the user intent when optimizing for voice.
4. Optimize Your Website for Mobile
According to the report about Share of Global Mobile Website Traffic 2015-2020(J. Clement, 2020), the mobile device generates about 51.53 % of total traffic in the second quarter of 2020 and it’s around 50% more since the beginning of 2017.
When a desktop version of a website loads on the mobile device, the users bounce back from your website and try another. It leads to negative user experience as well as lower your page rank for mobile search. But on the flip side, the mobile-friendly website can be your best butty to rank your page higher for the mobile search.
If you have the physical store along with the website, most likely, this research report will force you to optimize your website for mobile devices.
A report of LSA(Local Search Association) shows that more than 75% of local-intent mobile searches result in offline store visits within 24 hours, and nearly 30% result in a purchase.
Here are some tips for you to ensure the mobile-friendly site:
- Increase the Load Speed: To give an excellent user experience to the mobile users, keep your site load speed within three seconds.
- Use Large Text Fonts: To make your content easily readable use large text fonts in your article.
- Integrated Responsive Design: If you apply the integrated responsive design to your website, it doesn’t matter whether the users use mobile devices or the laptop, the site will be shown based on their devices.
- Block The Pop-Up ads: The pop-up ads cover almost the full screen of the mobile, it makes them annoyed and most often they leave your site without reading the full article. So make your site free from the pop-up ads to give a better user experience.
5. Optimize On-Page SEO
In a sense, the On-Page SEO is all about the words on a website. In the on-page SEO, the content gets the most attention, but it’s also important to structure your post in a way so that it can increase your chance of being located in SERP.
So, let’s a look at how you can properly optimize the On-Page SEO factors and what it offers to you.
- Headlines: A great headline can draw much attention to the users, it’s a big factor in your click-through rate, which is itself a key part of how SERPs determine their rankings.
To write a great headline, just follow the mentioned instructions:
- Highlight the value of the content: Highlights the value of the content so that the users can get the idea of what benefits the content or the post offers.
- Should be Relevant to the content: Through your headline, you should give the exact information that your article contains.
- Keep it within a standard length: The ideal length of a headline is 50-60 characters. So keep your headline length within 60 characters so it can properly be displayed on the SERP.
- Meta Description: Meta description is the way to tell about your content. It’s a brief summary of what your content offers to the users.
Here some tips for you to write an awesome meta description:
- Use Target Keywords: Obviously, you have produced the content based on your target keywords, now use those keywords within the meta description so that it can reach your target audience.
- Don’t Repeat the Keywords Too Much Time: It’s good to use the target keywords in the meta description but the practice of using it too much time is worse.
Create Content through Targeting the Local Users
To grab your local customers’ attention, there’s nothing so much fruitful that directly relates to the local issues.
So, I’m going to tell you some strategies that you should follow to make your content more appealing to local users:
- Blogs post on local events: The practice of writing blog posts about the local news, activities, or events take to closer to the local users.
- Crating Videos: Make the video content about the local charities or causes that support your business.
- Create Location-Specific Page: Create different pages, each page will target specific locations where you produce your content based on the local users of that location.
- Language: Since your target is local users, so create the content based on the language of that region.
For example, if the majority of the local audience are French, you can produce the content in french language.
When the visitors get the content in their own language, it creates the content more appealing and grows a positive perception towards your business among the local users.
6. Build High-Quality Links
The Local Search Ranking Factors study of MOZ reveals that link signal is the second-most important factor for local packs and first for the localized organic results.
So the link signal plays a vital role to grow your small business for the localized search but the quality is important. From the Google penguin update the tactics of building more backlinks to achieve the higher ranking no longer exist. Now Google gives much concentration to the quality of the links instead of quantity.
The following section will tell you some effective tactics that you can implement on getting high-quality backlinks:
- High Quality Content: An easy and effective way to get qualitative backlink is creating high-quality. If you can ensure the quality of the content, it ensures you the high-quality backlinks.
- Focus on Unique Content: When you create content, which is not created yet by others, naturally you will get more qualitative links.
- Guest Blog: Publish guest blog on reputed sites with a high domain authority to get links from them.
- Local Influencer: Find out the local influencer and engage with them on social media to link back to you.
7. Optimize the Content
That being said that content is king. And more likely, it’s not a myth.The content has much importance, it is the key ranking factor of your website.
A great content not only gives a better position in the SERP but also engages the users with your site. If your content matches with the expectation of the searcher which grew from screening your headlines, they will stay for long in your page. Not only that, you have more chances to convert them into your customers.
Here I will give you some tips on optimizing the content that leads more traffic as well as make them engage with your website.
- Ensure the Content Quality: How much qualitative content you have is a good indicator to rank your page. If you can ensure the quality of your content, it will engage the visitors with your site that gives a positive signal to the search engines.
So firstly you don’t think about the rank, you ensure the content quality, the ranking will come naturally.
- Long-Tail Keywords: Creating content based on the long tail keyword is the way to make your content unique. It is less competitive to rank the page higher.
Since the long tail keywords are more specific so it increases the click-through-rate and the conversion rate is 2.5 times higher than the head keywords.
For example, If you create your content based on the long tail keywords “smart watch with blood pressure and heart rate monitor” instead of the herald keyword “Smartwatch”, it has more possibility to secure the top spot on SERP.
- New content: According to Search Engine Land’s report about 15% of daily queries Google sees that have never been searched for previously. So, the practice of keeping your sites up-to-date with new content increases the possibility of being appeared on the first page of Search Engine Result Pages.
Apart from these, you can create your content based on the ever-green topic or any trending topic.
8. Social Media Optimization
You may have a question, since I already have a website, so why is it necessary to optimize the social media for my small business.
Ok let me explain, as you know that people visit the social for the purpose of gaining knowledge and for entertainment, so through your social media channels if you feed your audience relevant and up-to-date knowledge, you will likely increase the traffic to your website.
Not only that, social media helps you to build a long term relationship with your target audience. It creates a positive image about your brand and makes them connected to your brand.
You can easily inform your audience about your new market offerings, get instant feedback from them.
Here I’m going to leave out some tips that can help you to properly optimize the social media with website:
- Integrate Social Into Your Website: Integrate social sharing tools with your website to make it easier for the users to share your post on the social media platform. Since social sites have a high web authority so the links on social media are considered as the high quality backlinks.
- Be Social on Social Media: In these platforms your main goal should be building a good relationship with your audience. To achieve this sincerely participate in conversations, follow your customer base, and share helpful content from both your website and other relevant sites.
- Use Branded Cover Images: When the users visit your page on social platforms, typically the first thing they see is your cover images and a great cover image creates a good impression.
So, to grab this opportunity always use professional images to convey your brand messaging to the currents and prospective followers.
9. Online Business Directories
The online business directories is an online listing of business. The business listing can be categorized by niche, location,activity or size.
When you get listed on the Online Business Directories, it enhances your online preference. Not only that, it improves your local visibility and increases your chances of getting discovered by new customers. Whenever customers search for services or products like yours, even if they don’t search your business name directly, they will find you.
If the customers perform a search in the online business directories, a list of matching results with the snapshot of each business will be appeared in front of them. Even if they don’t click on your business name they still see your business that increases the awareness of your brand as well as the chance of getting business from them.
To be listed in Online Business Directories you should include the following basics:
- The accurate name, address and phone number of your business.
- Backlink that directs the users to your website
- Proper description of your business.
The proper implementation of these 10 actionable Local SEO strategies not only help you to reach your 2020 business goals but also give you a solid foundation when new SEO features are introduced.
So, don’t miss the chance to grow your business in 2020, start it now by doing local SEO.